Monday 20 September 2010

Long Mynd : Round 3

I currently have two weeks off and so am trying to do as much cycling as possible. I was going to try and go up the the Peak district but after looking at the weather forecast I decided against it. The only place it was raining in the UK as over the peak district! so I opted for the Long Mynd instead.

I headed up Mott's road again (nearly made it all the way to the top this time without stopping!) and then up to Pole Bank where there were several large groups of hikers.

I then continued through the small car park down the steep hill (brilliant views from here), past the farm and up the other side.



Then came the Minton Batch descent; you have got to be very careful here to stay on the path. Stray from the path slightly in some places and your wheel slides down the bank.

When I was nearing the end of this section I managed to get a flat tyre. I fixed this with the spare inner-tube and carried on. The route takes you through a short country land and then up a smooth windy climb back up the the gliding club. Before I got to this climb, I notice something wasn't quite right with the bike; somehow I managed to not put the tyre in the rim properly from the previous puncture and so had a large bulge of inner-tube sticking out between the rim and the tyre so I stopped, deflated the tyre, put it in properly and then re-inflated it.



When I finally got to the top if the windy hill I then past along by the gliding club (some of the best views of the route) and then back to Pole Bank.



Rather than going straight down the grassy bank and along the road, this time I went down the grassy bank and then bared right which took me down quite a challenging path which was quite steep in places. I did struggle a bit on this section but would definitely do it again on the next visit to attempt it again.



It was then just a case of following the road back to the car and starting  the drive home.

I actually logged the route on my GPS. I will post the route as soon as I find somewhere to upload it to.

Update: I have uploaded the GPX log here-
https://sites.google.com/site/mybikeroutesite/LongMyndLoop.gpx?attredirects=0&d=1

More Photos-



Long Mynd 2

No comments:

Post a Comment